Print this page

FLOW’s Chief finance man on $½ million bail- Charged with stealing Featured

FLOW’s Chief finance man on $½ million bail- Charged with stealing

Chief Accountant at one of Grenada’s leading telecommunication provider and media outfit, FLOW Grenada, has been arrested and charged in connection with the disappearance of thousands of dollars from the company, he was placed on five hundred thousand dollars bail.

Elvin Chitan 39 from the Village of Springs in St George’s, an accountant by profession who had been employed with the company for the past ten years, appeared before Chief Magistrate Tamara Gill in handcuffs at the Number One Magistrate court in St George’s on Monday, to answer charges of stealing by reason of employment, falsification of documents and money laundering, all indictable charges, were read to him by the magistrate.

   Chitan who was represented in court by defense counsel Peter David, was not required to plead, the prosecution having indicated to the court, that they are proceeding indictable on all three charges.

  According to information reaching the Grenada Informer, Chitan was arrested and formally charged last week by officers attached to the Financial Intelligence Unit (FIU), following investigations into allegations of missing funds from the company, totaling in the region of Four Hundred and Seventy-two thousand dollars ($472,000.00), dating back to well over ten years.

 Inside sources told this paper that officers attached to the FIU were seen taking away boxes of documents from Chitan’s home last week, however during Monday’s sitting, the court was told that although no new charges are anticipated, investigation into the matter continues.

Although total disclosure regarding the missing monies and how it went missing remained classified, Informer learned the FIU has discovered multiple accounts in different banking institutions on the island allegedly belonging to the accountant. Sources said Chitan who also holds a leading position as an elder in one of the island’s religious organizations, was accused of paying large sums of monies to himself in addition to receiving his monthly salary from the company.

 During Monday’s court sitting, prosecution did not object to bail but asked of the court that Chitan remains on remand while the police conclude their investigation. That request was flogged by defense counsel Peter David who reminded the court that his client is a respectable man in his community and does not have to be remanded for the police to conduct their investigation.

 Chitan was therefore placed on five hundred thousand dollars bail with two sureties. Additionally, he was asked to surrender all travel documents and report to the Central Police Station every Monday and Friday between the hours of 6am and 6pm. He is expected to be back in court on July 14th for the commencement of preliminary hearing.

2013 © Dwayne Francique Moving Target Group of Companies. All rights reserved.